Saturday, January 20, 2024

Tasting - "F. Stephen Millier Zinfandel"

Name: F. Stephen Millier Black Label Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel 2021

Variety: 100% Zinfandel

Region: Lodi, CA

Country: United States

Year: 2021

Price: $18.99

Winery review (from NakedWines.com): This powerful Zinfandel is chock full of spice and flavors like juicy red plums, wild blackberries and ripe blueberries – a wildly popular red you’ll love.

It will age quite nicely for the next few years, becoming even more remarkable.

It will benefit quite nicely from getting a little air before serving. I'd try 45 minutes or so before pouring.

My review: Ref. Wine Folly pp. 189-190 - Zinfandel

I tasted this with several roommates and friends, some of whom are also in the class, which made for an enjoyable evening. We did not have food today, though we may bring some light snacks in the future. Having had Zinfandel in the past, I immediately associated the tartness and acidity of the wine with the variety. Unless I am confusing terms, I found this wine far more acidic than the book suggests by placing it on only the second tier. Both in the mouth and the stomach, it had a distinctive bite.

I would say that the strongest flavor I could recognize from the book's description was blackberry. The tartness stood out most immediately, with notes of fruit also present, especially when I smelled the wine. As I held the wine in my mouth, I further got a smokiness and perhaps a hint of tobacco, though I don't smoke and so am not especially familiar with tobacco.

This is a wine I might enjoy in small amounts - small sips, with water as a primary drink. I can imagine it going well with chicken or some juicy meat dish, though I would not select it personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner - Spaghetti and Meatballs

  Sunday, Mar. 16, 2024 Yesterday, ten of my friends from our Campus Ministry, several of whom are taking this course with me, organized our...