Saturday, February 24, 2024

Tasting - Stefano Di Blasi Syrah/Nero D'Avola

Name: Stefano Di Blasi Syrah/Nero d'Avola 2021

Variety: 60% Syrah, 40% Nero d'Avola

Region: Sicily

Country: Italy

Year: 2021

Price: $12.99


Winery review (from Naked Wines): This powerhouse red is flush with luscious dark fruit flavors like a juicy bite of ripe plum, with a hint of warming spice and an elegant, long-lasting finish – easy drinking is an understatement!

Wine Folly: from pp. 172-173 (Syrah): A rich, powerful, and sometimes meaty red wine that originated in the Rhone Valley of France. Full-bodied, high in alcohol, acidity, and tannins; very dry. Flavors include blueberry, plum, milk chocolate, tobacco, and green peppercorn.
from pp. 145 (Nero d'Avola): Sicily’s most important red wine variety is often likened to Cabernet Sauvignon due to its full-bodied style and flavors of black cherry and tobacco. Flavors include black cherry, black plum, licorice, tobacco, and chili pepper.

My review: This was one of the better reds I've had. It was very fruity including some cherry, but not especially tart. Some hints of chocolate were evident. I enjoyed the smoothness along with the full body - the wine coated my mouth even long after I had finished it, but it lacked the acidic or tannic bite that I often consider intrusive. Interestingly, I think this was a less-flavorful, almost a bit watery, wine compared to the reds I have had thus far, and yet I actually enjoyed that aspect a lot. Not having had this with food, it made for easy drinking, and I could take larger sips. Additionally, this was my first blended wine for which I have been actively paying close attention to all the flavors and profiles - perhaps something to keep in mind when buying wines in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner - Spaghetti and Meatballs

  Sunday, Mar. 16, 2024 Yesterday, ten of my friends from our Campus Ministry, several of whom are taking this course with me, organized our...