Saturday, February 3, 2024

Tasting - "Paul D. Grüner Veltliner 1 Liter 2022"

Name: Paul D. Grüner Veltliner 1 Liter 2022

Variety: Grüner Veltliner

Region: Niederösterreich

Country: Austria

Year: 2022

Price: $12.98

Winery review (from Vintage Cellar): The great 2022 vintage shows here in captivating aromas of sliced apple, juicy peach, lime oil and savory white pepper. There's plenty of fruit on the palate, but the crisp pear, apple and pineapple flavors take back a seat to crushed chalk minerality and a burst of green citrus energy. Finishes fresh and tingly with good crisp bite. Really good stuff at a fantastically low price.

Wine Folly: from pp. 120 (Grüner Veltliner): Austria's most important wine is produced in a myriad of styles, the most popular of which are lean, herbaceous and peppery wines with mouth-watering acidity. Flavors include yellow apple, pear, asparagus, white pepper, and flint.

My review: For once I could pick out a distinct scent when I smelled this - it smelled exactly like apple juice, specifically Apfelschorle (apple juice with sparkling water, a common German drink). The taste was more complex, it didn't in fact taste like Apfelschorle. The alcohol and acidity overpowered any particular flavor, though it remained tart and citrusy, so the apple and pear made sense to me. Asparagus is not unthinkable either, but I'm not sure where to pick out pepper and flint. It was a rather light-bodied wine; the feel was pleasant and it was easy to drink. However, though I like Apfelschorle, I did not enjoy this wine. The flavors simply don't suit my taste, especially with the acidity and its being a wine--I don't know if I've ever enjoyed a white wine, and this one was no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wine Dinner - Spaghetti and Meatballs

  Sunday, Mar. 16, 2024 Yesterday, ten of my friends from our Campus Ministry, several of whom are taking this course with me, organized our...